Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Battling on



I continue to try and get my head around the features of the blogging world, I can't believe how many hours can be spent moving from blog to blog veiwing all the incredible artwork. I have spent a few fruitful days in my craft room doing some journalling as I am currently home from work recovering from a small op. It is a rare opportunity for me to enjoy some uninterupted time on my own, I've even set the phone to silent! I created this layout the other day, it was challenging because I had pieces of wet texture paste all over the page and I was impatient to continue working and kept smudging it. The licorice allsorts were the hardest as the template I cut had tiny slits to allow the colours to layer, anyway I got there in the end. The entire black background was for the benefit of the licorice! I then used the leftover colours of the texture paste and smeared them together to create the pastel flowers, the whole thing reminded me of a trip the ice cream parlour and all the different choices. Painted the leaves, very random!
This page was fashioned around the image I had of a penny farthing cycle. I used permanent
markers to doodle the background and stuck the transfer image of the cylce over the top. The image got me thinking about pennies and the other page emerged. I scanned some old pennies to create images and added a bit of writing and an old theatre ticket. I was especially pleased with the background for this, did a wash with brown and olive green paint and then placed some paper towel over it and pressed. It left the imprint of the towel, looks great. I still have trouble being spontaneous with my creations. I am a draughtsperson by trade and unfortunately my trained "drafting eye" always wants to line everything up evenly and balanced, I really have to work against it at times. I love the colours in this page. I didn't really have a design in mind it just evolved. I did the black swirls first and everything else followed. I'm always impatient to finish the page because I already have the idea for a new one and I'm seriously comptemplating having a few journals on the go at the same time so that I can jump around a bit. I often lay in bed a night and have to resist the impulse to jump up and go back to my paints with a new idea that just emerged. Am I mad? Mind you it wasn't like that when the kids were at home, too tired.
My eldest daughter is getting married in a few months and I am busily tracking down supplies to make all of the decorations. Fortunately she has chosen a theme close to my heart so it is a pleasure to create. Antique creams and coffees, mixed with a soft russet colour, laces, pearls, ribbons, candles it's dreamy. I will be very busy between now and then though. They are giving each guest a wine glass as a bomboneire and I am making a beaded wine glass ring for the stem of each one as well. I've done a prototype and was quite pleased with the result. I am waiting for supplies to arrrive as I want the ring a bit smaller and I am contemplating dying the rosebuds a bit to make them look more antique. I discovered a wonderful product during a recent art course that was right under my nose and I had no idea about its properties (thanks Kerryanne). Parisian essence has been my best friend ever since. I think I'll try dipping the edges of the paper rose in it today and see what I come up with. Fortunately my daughter is an angel in disguise and I will do anything in the world for her. Best sign off, I can hear those brushes and paints calling. Wish there were more hours in the day.
Enjoy yours.
Janet

3 comments:

  1. Hi Janet,

    I'm very glad you stopped by my blog so I could discover yours. Journaling is SO much fun and very addictive.....your pages are lovely!

    Btw, my daughter is getting married in October and we've been busy with wedding preps too such as, making wedding invitations etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet,
    Great Journaling!
    I also participated in "Embracing with the Passion" with Kerryanne.
    I've seen your art over there and I'm impressed!
    Happy creating,
    Hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet,
    I wanted to comment on your latest post-Lazy Days however I'm not sure where to comment!
    Anyway, I love both of these pieces and I'm sure now you have the creative bug, you won't be stopping anytime soon.
    Happy creating,
    Hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete